Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Dr. Something... Errrr: How I Learned to Stop... Something and Love True Blood

Normal vampire stuff.

True Blood is a terrible television program.  I'll never attempt to argue that point. However, I can no longer hate on it because within the past couple weeks I've discovered that I like it.

Yeah, I like True Blood. I look forward to 9 pm every Sunday and I find myself (for the most part) invested in the 47 plot lines. As I said, this is only a recent development. I caught bits and pieces of the first season, completely hated it, and wanted nothing to do with it. When the second season rolled around I tired to ignore it but ultimately decided to just give in and hate watch. And lets face it, for someone like myself, hate watching some piece of shit show is often a MORE rewarding experience than any truly well-made and enjoyably show. Hate watching went pretty well, especially towards the end of the second season when I believe the show became self-aware and fully committed to drive this bus all the way to Bananas Town.


Perhaps it was as I noticed the show becoming self-aware that the seeds to enjoyment were sewn but the epiphany only came a couple weeks ago as Bill hate fucked twisty head Lorena (see above).

I probably should have taken my TV outside and thrown it into a dumpster at that very moment. I probably should never have watched True Blood to begin with. Instead, I found myself watching one vampire twist another's head around backwards and fuck her. As this happened, I said to myself verbatim: "Lol. You're the worst, Lorena. Oh True Blood, you so crazy." And that's pretty much it. These characters ARE the worst. Not in the sense that they are flat and uninteresting characters that I don't give a shit about. No, I actively hate them and revel in their insane misery (With the possible exception of Eric, who I find to be hilarious)*. Every week I find myself actively rooting for all of them to die in some fantastic way. This is not hate watching, this is being truly drawn into the show's world. If I wasn't invested in the characters and the plot, it wouldn't matter to me one way or the other what happens because I'd simply be writing the show off as worthless. But it seems I DO care and I AM invested because I want them all to suffer. If these characters are interesting enough for me to visit week after week with the hope that they may encounter further maladies, then I'd say I have no choice but to consider the show a success and an enjoyment.

A couple more reasons I don't hate True Blood:

Despite what the direct IV drip of garbage flowing into your eyes each Sunday may lead you to believe, the show isn't hastily written and filmed in a day or two before it airs while the entire cast and crew tweak on meth. No, there are something like 11 novels of material that they are pulling from. All of this batshitery is already out there in a well-established canon. I often forget this fact and it makes the show at least 40% more enjoyable.

Stage actors. I've seen reference to this being used as a defense for the show but I've never seen an actual argument as to why stage actors make the show better. Here is mine: they don't but that's okay. Campy/over the top/terrible/offensive, whatever you want to call the acting on True Blood I don't mind it too much because I think it is just all part of the point. Whether the cast is truly terrible or are purposefully campy (I think its a mix) just doesn't matter to me because it makes them seem like even less likable people.

A couple reasons I still really hate True Blood:

Talking about its deeper meaning. I really dislike the whole True Blood is an allegory for this and that argument. True Blood is an extremely shallow show and any social commentary there within is ham handed at best and non-existent at worst. C'mon, do we really want to champion this show as an allegory for gay and civil rights? If I was gay and/or civil I think I would be kind of offended at the thought that this show is about me. Marginalized portions of American society already have plenty of hurdles to clear and battles to fight, they don't need this bullshit show hanging over them too.

It is terrible. Even if I like it, the show is still bonkers; most of the 40-some plot lines remain woefully underdeveloped by the time they're ended and the sex/violence on the show toes the gratuity line like an elephant shot with a tranquilizer.

So there it is, I've come to enjoy True Blood. I've hopped on the Crazy Bus with aone-way ticket to Bananas Town or whatever idiotic metaphor I tried to use earlier. In the end, just remember this one thing: True Blood is still more believable than Entourage.

Cheers! You've made it, True Blood.


*One other character I truly enjoy(ed) is/was Franklin. But he seem(ed)s to be a minor character and he is (temporarily?) dead now. RIP, Franklin?
Franklin doing his GOB impression, dead guy's head doing his Franklin impression.

No comments: